Friday 21 March 2014

BIG BANG WINNER!

The National Science & Engineering Competition offers students the opportunity to celebrate their work by showcasing their Nuffield Placement projects to judges and, potentially, at the National Finals at The Big Bang Fair to over 65,000 people.

One of SATRO's placements, Theresita Joseph from St Philomenia's School for Girls, entered her project on investigations into Parkinson's disease and won first place for the Medical Research Council prize. Theresita commented to SATRO...

"Last summer I took part in a four week Nuffield Research Project at UCL looking into a potential mechanism behind the causes of SNpc DA neurone degeneration in Parkinson’s disease. I was particularly keen on undertaking this project having witnessed the devastating impacts of the illness on my uncle, and so wanted to know more about how current research behind understanding its causes could lead to better treatments, and eventually a cure. In particular, I was exploring how neurone death may be linked to mitochondrial dysfunction with an inhibited Complex I of the Electron Transport chain, coupled with sustained Calcium entry into the neurone, which together may increase the production of Free Radicals, and thus lead to cell death. My project showed positive results towards the theory, and having been selected as a finalist for the National Science and Engineering Competition 2014 at the Big Bang Fair at the NEC, I was able to discuss my project to various members of the public, from young children to small adults. This was an amazing and fulfilling experience for me, and to top it all off I won first place for the Medical Research Council prize, awarding me with £500 and the opportunity to visit a research centre and the scientists behind the medical advances made. I felt truly honoured and blessed to have been able to take part and win such a prestigious competition, and my whole experience has inspired me to combine both research and clinical practice in my future."
Well done Theresita!

No comments:

Post a Comment