Friday 11 November 2016

Extended work placement student Sukant Roy - Student Case Study


My name is Sukant Roy, and I go to the Royal Grammar School, Guildford. I am just about to begin year 13 and will be studying Further maths, Physics and Chemistry as my A level subjects. I want to study Computer science at University level. 

One reason why I applied for a placement is that I wanted to gain understanding and experience of how it feels to carry out academic research in an institute (being supervised by an expert): I kind of got an experience of how a PhD works, and what the environment he/she works in is like. I also have an interest in semiconductor devices and the physics behind them, and I thought a project in these would be very informative and fulfil my interest, at the same time provoking a greater passion for physics. The things I learnt definitely were not of A level standard: they were more first and second Year Undergraduate level.

My project was on modelling different semiconductor devices through simulations and explaining how they work. The devices were diodes, MOSFET’s AND BJT’s. I benefitted hugely from the placement not only because I learnt concepts in programming and Electronics (semiconductors) but also because I developed key skills such as communication, time management, decision-making and data analysis. I got first-hand experience of the workplace environment. This experience was highly rewarding and enriching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment