Friday 14 August 2020

Daniel Wilcox - Summer STEM Virtual Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports

 In April SATRO took the unprecedented (and sad) decision to suspend the Research Programme for this year due to COVID-19. We asked all our providers for a 'day in the life of' summaries to give the students a flavour of the many types of roles that are available in the professional environments. 

Following SATRO's hard work to develop an online policy. In May, we reached out to our wonderful providers to propose a virtual solution and to get around any social distancing rules. The response was amazing. We asked for suitable titles that the students could research over the summer and devise a short essay and either a PP or a poster with their findings. 

All students have been asked to provide a weekly update on their experience - please see below to see what Daniel has been up to so far! 

 Week One

"So far, I have done lots of research on Moore’s law, transistor’s and their purpose in computers, and other relevant information. I have around 6-7 relevant sources, all found through Google Scholar so they are credible and citable. I have compiled all the notes and information I have gathered in OneNote, as well as made outlines for my document itself as well as the slideshow. Overall, I have done pretty much all the research and planning, and am now preparing to make the slideshow and document itself.

What’s working well: ideas and planning. I know what I want to talk about, have relevant information, and how my final product will look.

What needs more work: actually starting the final product. I’m still trying to figure out how I want to write everything and organise my thoughts directly on page, instead of just a detailed outline.

What influenced question choice: I am very interested in computer science and learning more about the relationship between hardware and software is very interesting to me. (That and I knew Quantum Computing would be popular and thought the judges would get tired of that subject after too many projects)."

- Daniel Wilcox 

No comments:

Post a Comment