Thursday 3 April 2014

FORCES AT WORK


Two Discovery Science Workshops took place in local schools over the past two days: Shottermill Infant School in Haslemere and Ottershaw Primary School in Chertsey. Over 150 pupils across the two schools participated. The pupils at Ottershaw Primary learnt about the forces and engineering behind building water rockets and had the chance to build and launch their own. Meanwhile, the pupils at Shottermill Infant School also built and learnt about water rockets during the morning.  The afternoon session was devoted to investigating forces in structures and a K’nex Structure Challenge in which they had to towers using K’nex and their engineering knowledge in a time limit of 50 minutes.


The pupils thoroughly enjoyed the activities and learnt new concepts. One pupil said, "I enjoyed myself today and I would love to do it again!" A teacher commented, "I am a school governor, observing science lessons, I am also an engineer! I was hugely impressed and inspired by this lesson. It is so important that our children understand the value of science and engineering. What I have seen today is vital if we are to achieve this. I feel honoured to have witnessed today's lesson."

No comments:

Post a Comment