Tuesday 28 August 2018

Lois Whitelegg - Summer STEM Work Placement - Weekly Reports

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!


See how Lois is getting on with her STEM placement!

Image result for cardiac

Week One

"During my first week I was able to become familiar with the work that is being done by the charity Cardiac Risk in the Young and the Cardiac Investigations Department at St. George’s Hospital. I was able to observe the diagnostic tools that are used to diagnose heart conditions, such as ECGs, Echocardiograms and Cardiopulmonary Exercise Tests. 

I have started to look into different heart conditions, specifically those which affect younger people, which has allowed me to start gaining an understanding of why research into inherited cardiac conditions is so important. I have also been able to start thinking about possible ideas for a project."

Week Two

"This week I decided to base my project on the psychological effects of a heart condition on an athlete. This is something that little research has been done on despite the large lifestyle adaptions a heart condition may lead to, particularly regarding physical activity. As well as this I have been able to shadow doctors in their clinics with patients, which has been a very valuable and interesting experience in gaining an understanding of different heart conditions and seeing the effective ways in which doctors interact with their patients."

Week Three 

"During my week I have started to research into methods of surveying patients, as well as writing my own survey to use for my study. I was also able to again be involved with the diagnostic processes, which has helped to deepen my knowledge of different heart conditions such as Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. 

Furthermore I was able to shadow a doctor who did a Heart Failure patient ward round allowing me to go to various wards in the hospital and see the effects of Heart Failure on a range of patients in a different environment than I had been in previously, only seeing outpatients."

Week Four

"Now I have started to conduct my survey on patients and start analysing the responses. Also I have been able to assist in setting up the diagnostic tests for patients and assist in writing reports for patients. This has showed me the importance of accurately documenting the results of diagnostic tests so that they can effectively be used to help in diagnosing the patient." 

- Lois Whitelegg 

No comments:

Post a Comment