Friday 6 June 2014

JESSICA RICHARDSON - VOLUNTEER

Jessica is a regular supporter of SATRO and volunteers across the board at our events.  Jessica found SATRO a few years ago on a volunteer website as she was looking to get involved in helping local teenagers at the point of them moving on from school and initially signed up as a mentor. 
Of this she says “the mentoring program put in place by SATRO is perfect for encouraging independence and focus at a demanding time in their life, and hopefully provides a positive adult influence that is not connected with their school or home.
 I have been continually impressed with SATRO’s program of mentoring and the support they offer to the mentors. Recently I have also become involved in mentoring younger children and have found this interaction just as rewarding as it is clear that our involvement  makes a difference to their confidence and outlook as they prepare to progress to senior school.
 Overall mentoring is a direct way to get involved in the development of a young person and the rewards can be easily seen as they mature and are excited about the next phase of their life and as they overcome any problems or issues they have”. Jessica is currently mentoring 3 mentors at 2 different schools!

Jessica has said that she continues to volunteer with SATRO “as I can see first hand results from the mentoring and the students show me how much they enjoy meeting up and if I can help in a small way then it is an added bonus. I also feel I learn a lot from the students as I try to understand the pressures they are under, particularly with the development of technology”.

In addition to the mentoring Jessica regularly volunteers at our primary science events, business games and even helping out in the office – in fact she has volunteered over 110 hours of her time.
Of this Jessica comments “I have enjoyed the workshops at the different schools, as the hands on science can bring learning to life and the business days link school to the working world.  The best bit however is seeing the less responsive child gradually become engaged in the activities and ultimately leave having had a very positive day. I always hear comments on the business days from the students expressing a small understanding of the pressures of real work but also how they enjoyed the thrill of selling a product they have made. I not only enjoy the interaction with children at these events and love seeing the excitement they show during the day but I also enjoy meeting all the other interesting volunteers.’


By way of background Jessica says “I worked as a General Practice Chartered Surveyor in commercial property which included office, retail and industrial for over 10 years. The areas of work were management, development and sales. My career took me not only all over the UK but I also worked for a couple of years in Melbourne, Australia which was fascinating. More recently I have been on a career break but have kept busy with children, our dog and being fully involved in a number of school committee and village events. I am now a development committee member for a local football club and have an interest in residential property investments”.

No comments:

Post a Comment