Monday 17 July 2017

Alma Hadzihasani - Summer STEM Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!




Week One
"This week I was introduced to my project on simulating revolutionary transistors composed of semiconducting nanowires, used for quantum computing at higher temperatures (temperatures higher than is currently possible). I was made familiar with the simulation program known as Silvaco, and I began to learn the language (2D and 3D) by going through examples. I carried out research on how transistors and semiconductors function, and modern industry processes. By the end of the week I had finished the 3D structure of the actual nano-wire, with correct dimensions/meshing/material, simulating it for different temperatures, fixing a variety of bugs."


Week Two
"This week I got to improve and explore my previously built nano-wire transistor simulation. I have been busy trying to solve unexpected problems (such as solution convergence errors) by researching and learning of different quantum models available in the program and whether they may be appropriate to my simulation. Learning some of the ideas of quantum models/equations and transportation has proved to be very interesting and thought-provoking. I have also expanded my knowledge on Silvaco syntax."

Week Three
"During week 3 I created more simulations in the interest of solving a simulation of the nano-wire transistor. This included various 2D structures, a range of quantum and low temperature models, and refined meshing. Through this I experienced more errors that required logical and systematic approaches to attempt to solve them. By the end of the week, and after many attempts, we concluded that using Atlas to simulate the nanowire transistor was not an appropriate method."

-Alma Hadzihasani 

No comments:

Post a Comment