Monday 31 July 2017

Kieron Lintott - Summer STEM Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!


See how Kieron's getting on with his STEM placement! 

Week One

"My first week at SSTL (Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd) has been a massive success.
I’ve learnt a lot about coding on MATLAB through online courses, the book “Essential MATLAB for Engineers and Scientists” and hands-on experience with MATLAB.
My main task this week was writing code to loop through folders to process files and convert it to HTML to automatically update SSSTL’s MERRBYS website that showcases their satellite data (http://www.merrbys.co.uk/)."

Week Two

"My second week at SSTL has seen a lot of progress and on the Friday I finished the task of writing code to automatically update the MERRBYS website.
I’ve continued to learn more about MATLAB as the task progressed and overcame various obstacles and found more and more ways of refining the code to create a better presentation for the webpages I was writing code for, such as titles and page layout.
I also found out a bit about how I’ll be spending the rest of my placement; it will involve processing and analysing data from a GNSS Reflectometry satellite."

Week Three

"After a few weeks of writing code, running it, fixing bugs and other activities. I've finally finished my first task at SSTL of writing code that takes data that was processed from a satellite to automatically update the Data Explore section of the MERRByS website. This can be found on the MERRByS website under Data Explore. 

Once I finished my work on the website, I went straight into my second task of processing the vast array of data collected by the TDS-1 satellite, through using pre-written code that filters the data down to process only what I want it to."

Week Four

“My final week at SSTL has been the best yet. It’s been very busy, working on a code to process satellite data into Sea and Ice through using different data filters that could be found in an online product manual (also on the MERRByS website under Documentation) that supplied corresponding data that could be used to filter out anomalous data points and extracting information from plots. I found that GNSS-R data could be used to predict the surface of a reflected signal to astounding accuracy, correctly predicting Ice over 93% of the time I got data from.”

- Kieron Lintott

No comments:

Post a Comment