Friday 11 August 2017

Daniel Owen - Summer STEM Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!

See how Daniel is getting on with his STEM placement! 


Week One

"My first week at KBC Applied Technology; I spent nearly all of the first three days learning how to use Petro-Sim, a simulation software developed by KBC themselves to model and stimulate oil refineries. The next two days were a mixture of general office tasks such as converting PDFs of refinery data to excel documents and learning to more practically use Petro-Sim for real world application.

Everyone here is friendly and professional. The office is well equipped and I've drank more tea in five days than in my whole life thanks to the boiling water tap. Surprisingly, I haven't made any hot drinks for anyone else, I keep offering but no one accepts, maybe I'm doing work experience wrong?" 

Week Two

"I spent a lot more time this week working on my project. Modelling an oil stabilisation plant and then finding out and recording the effects on energy consumption of the whole plant when I change the target levels of sulphur allowed in the final feed. This was my first time having to use Petro Sim and the spreadsheets built within it, without the specific guidance of a training document, and it's been a challenge that requires a lot of thought and problem solving. Much like coding sometimes the simulation just won't run and thus has resulted in a fair bit of hair pulling and trying to figure out where I went wrong. Overall though, it's been another interesting week and I've enjoyed working in a professional environment." 

- Daniel Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment