Tuesday 1 August 2017

Ramez Siddiqi - Summer STEM Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!


See how Ramez is getting on with his STEM placement! 


Week One

"On Monday this past week, I started my placement at KBC Advanced Technologies in Walton-on-Thames. KBC are a leading technology based consulting company in the energy and chemical industries, they offer a range of modelling based services to their clients such as PETROsim, Maximus and Multiflash which are used to simulate oil and gas production and extraction and aids clients to make improvements to their systems based on recommendations using the simulations. 

Over the past week, I have been training in the Maximus software program learning how to create oil and gas production, extraction and transportation systems in an attempt to get me ready for the aim of the project which is to build and simulate case studies in Maximus and a rival program called PIPEsim and then run the models on them and compare the two programs in terms of speed, accuracy and also record any limitations they have. Later in the week, after I completed my training; I started looking at real life past case studies in Maximus and have been running tests on them. Next week, I will be constructing the same sort of models in PIPEsim and then comparing the two programs. I have really enjoyed seeing what it's like working as a chemical engineer in a consultancy environment so far and looking forward to gaining more knowledge over the coming weeks and seeing my project take shape." 

Week Two

"This week, my second here at KBC, was where the real work began that would help shape my final project. I got my PIPEsim license on Monday and I finished my training on Maximus, now I could start building models of oil production and storage sites in the two pieces of software and compare them, looking specifically at the features available and the similarities and differences in the functions and capabilities of the two programs. I started with my first case study which was an off shore oil extraction site, it was difficult when I first started building the model onto PIPEsim as I have never used it before, however having completed my training in Maximus last week I managed to pick it up quickly due to the similarities of the two programs.


 I really enjoyed the process of building the model into the program and seeing it take shape and it was really interesting to see the different ways the programs go about solving the same problems. I soon started building the next model which was a gas extraction site in morocco and I am in the process of completing the two models by adding the final touches and correcting any mistakes or bugs that I find. So far in my findings I have found Maximus to be the superior product however my views could change when I complete my report and do a full scale investigation."

Week Three

"I have just completed my third week here at KBC in Walton. Throughout this week I have built two more oil and gas production models in PIPEsim and Maximus, taking my total up to four. The latest model ‘Khazzan’ was by far the most difficult to build simply due to its sheer size, it consists of 325 wells alone and even more pipelines, however I really enjoyed the challenge. 

As the weeks have gone by I have gained a lot of invaluable and useful insight into life as a chemical engineer in a consulting environment. I have also gained some credible proficiency in both PIPesim and Maximus and I am learning a lot about chemical engineering in the oil and gas industry. 

Towards the end of the week I started running the models I have built and we fixed any errors that we have found, now the testing begins, the results of which I will use to compare the two pieces of software, as the results come in my report is also slowly progressing. I have really enjoyed working here and building the models, working and seeing what life is like as an engineer rather than having to do menial tasks, I look forward to seeing how my results from my simulations and comparing the pieces of software in the future."

Week Four 

"I just completed the last week of my summer placement here at KBC advanced technologies; I have really enjoyed my time here over the past four weeks. It has been great seeing what life is like as a chemical engineer in a consulting environment and the knowledge and experience I have gained here is invaluable. 

Over the last week, I gathered my results and started writing up my report and started making my poster for the STEMX awards. It was really great to see all the hard work from the past 4 weeks pay off as my report came together. I'm really glad I got the opportunity to use both Maximum and PIPEsim make different oil and gas production sight models, it's a great skill to have and one that I might revisit in the future during an engineering career. 

I would definitely recommend to anyone who is considering to do a summer placement with SATRO to do it as it is not only something that looks good on your personal statement for university, but also something that you will enjoy, learning about a career that you might want to do in the future and you will meet some great people along the way and gain a detailed insight to life as an engineer." 

- Ramez Siddiqi 

No comments:

Post a Comment