Tuesday 19 August 2014

SATROCLUB EXTENDED WORK PLACEMENT

Atdhe is on an extended work placement at Jacobs, an engineering company. Here is what he had to say about his experience so far...

"I'm already finding the placement positively challenging and intriguing, I have been given 3 possible situations that I could choose to work on: The first being some restructuring work at Sydney Harbour Bridge; the second was the replacement of the deck at Church Bridge in Gloucester; and the final option was work on Carter Bridge in St. Helens. I spent the first couple of days making myself aware of the context behind each bridge, reading various reports and analysing complex drawings. Towards the end of the week we decided to exclusively look at the Church and Carter Bridge's further. On Friday I spent many hours working out various dimensions and researching material densities in order to determine the impact of each option on the environment with respect to their carbon footprints. A major surprise to me is in how relevant my work is and the responsibility and freedom that I have been given in carrying out my work, in such a manner that I have never experienced prior to this week."

We hope you enjoy the next three weeks of your placement, Atdhe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment