Thursday 14 February 2013

A DAY OF DISCOVERY

Pupils at Barnsbury Primary School in Woking had a Discovery Science day on 12th February where Years 2, 3 and 5 worked with SATRO engineers on a range of projects.  Year 2 learnt about simple electric circuits which were used to illuminate their lighthouses; Year 3 experimented with magnets and created a magnetic game; Year 5 became rocket “scientists” investigating pneumatics and hydraulics and launching their rockets 60ft into the air. 

Pupils enjoyed a fantastic day of learning with lots of opportunities to work co-operatively. 

“I liked learning about science, it was so interesting.”  “I understand science more.” “This has made me feel brainy.”  “This activity made me feel like a real scientist/engineer.”  “Before I wasn’t that interested in science, but now I really like it.”

Teacher comments included: “Improved their teamwork skills.” “Fabulous to have hands-on experience.” “The children all seem very enthusiastic to learn more about science and especially rockets.”

We are extremely grateful to the Woking Round Table who contributed towards the cost of the event.

No comments:

Post a Comment