Wednesday 12 March 2014

GLYN GAMES GLORY!

The past two days saw a faithful band of SATRO volunteers head to Glyn School in Epsom to help support and guide 240 Year 9 students through the vagaries of the SATRO Business Game. The students were placed into 12 teams which later became stationery companies and each team had their own SATRO Business Advisor. Teachers were on hand to play the various roles inherent in business with ‘the buying team’ negotiating hard with the students, many of whom refused to compromise. Bank accounts were opened and money managed whilst ‘the bosses’ kept everyone on track.

These student comments illustrate the valuable skills learnt...

"I learnt that teamwork is the key to a successful business."
"I now know how a company works and how hard and busy it is to be part of a company."
"I am surprised at how beneficial it was and how it made me think about my future job."

For the SATRO Volunteers, and indeed the Game Manager, both days were hugely enjoyable with everyone being impressed by the students’ eagerness to learn and take part.

As one of our dedicated volunteers summed up, "I do believe the collaboration between business owners, the school and SATRO is quite unique. As a new business owner I am volunteering my time which is extremely precious as I am keen to ensure that all children seek their potential when it comes to their careers. After all, they are the country's next leaders!"

No comments:

Post a Comment