Friday 25 April 2014

BUDDING ENGINEERS AT ST BEDE'S

St Bede's Junior School in Woking held a Mega-Structures Challenge on 24th April in which their Year 5 pupils were tested on their engineering skills. 60 pupils took part in The Bridge Building Challenge. The day involved using design and build techniques, combined with team-work, to create a bridge structure entirely of rolled paper held together with nuts and bolts. They then tested the strength of the structure by hanging weights from the bridge. It's safe to say the Year 5 classes are now full with plenty of budding engineers!

One pupil said,“It has made me feel that engineering can be fun and challenging at the same time. It made me realise that engineering is a career that I am thinking about going into when I am older.”

Another pupil said,“It was really fun and I would definitely do it again. I understand that when I am older it will be important that we cooperate and use some imagination and to work together as a team. I like engineering, I will definitely do it at GCSE level. It made me want to build a bike, car or house out of paper!”

No comments:

Post a Comment