Monday 17 July 2017

Elliott Myers - Summer STEM Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports


The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!




See how Elliott is getting on with his STEM Placement!



Week one

"On Monday, I learnt how to factorise and solve complex quadratic and cubic expressions, also learning how to use "Maple" a mathematical problem solving system. On Tuesday, I learnt a method of completing the cube similar to completing the square, and conducted some of my own research into Group Theory. On Wednesday, I participated in a couple of lectures on modulus functions and RSA. On Thursday and Friday, I wrote a report on the modulus function and proposed an idea and question for my research the following week."           


Week two

"I started this week by researching into a way of combining a symmetric group with RSA encryption to create a secure encryption method. This then furthered my interest into permutations of sets, looking at a way of ordering all permutations of a set, with a method that could be successfully used by anyone. This then changed to looking at this method numerically, finding the difference between permutations as a sequence, which produced interesting graphical results with clear patterns." 

Week three 

"For my last week I have focused on writing up my report and my poster for SATRO. I have managed to condense my ideas into a logical document, which draws conclusions from all my encryption methods. This placement has really opened my eyes to the world of scientific world, helping me understand the concepts behind abstract mathematics that I have never come across before. I would like to thank all the members of the maths department at Surrey University and the staff at SATRO for this opportunity."


                         - Elliott Myers

No comments:

Post a Comment