Monday 30 July 2018

James Tait - Summer STEM Work Placement Student - Weekly Reports

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!


See how James is getting on with his STEM placement! 

Image result for advanced technology institute

Week One

"My first week at the Advanced Technology Institute at Surrey University consisted of meeting everyone I'd be working with and being given a tour of the facilities. I was also looking for and reading relevant scientific papers that would help me with my project. Although they were different to understand, my supervisor was on hand to help explain difficult concepts and I was able to bounce ideas off of him. 

We also outlined the project and attempted to replicate some of the experiments found in suitable scientific journals." 


Week Two


"We started off week two by refining experiments from week one. We had successfully coiled fishing line and we'd been able to induce a contraction to lift weights. I was able to calculate the best weights to use when coiling which we then tested by preparing samples and observing them under an optical microscope. We're hoping to test the mechanical properties next week as this helps greatly with my project; creating an 'artificial muscle' from electrspun nylon. 

I was also introduced to the electrospinning rig, a process which creates very thin fibres (nanometre scale)."


Week Three  

"I started off the week by visiting the mechanical testing facility and familiarising myself with the machinery. I tested two samples of fishing line coiled under two weights and was able to calculate the spring constant. I had read about thermally annealing (175c) the fishing line after coiling it, though until this week I had little understanding as to why this was necessary. I believed there was a change in crystalline structure which may be altered depending on the method of cooling. I prepared six samples, two quenched after annealing for one hour, two cooled at room temperature after one hour and two for comparison. I then tested their properties and was also able to measure the amount of contraction when applying heat." 

Week Four 

"The last week at my placement was focused on preparing a poster to present to the supervisors at the institute. As such, I spent most of my time gathering the necessary data and creating all the graphs required. I was also able to mechanically test some electrospun nylon and record its interesting properties. For the last few days I was attempting to electrothermally actuate the coiled fishing line though this proved difficult as the wire was too rigid to manipulate. 

On the final day, I had a get-together where we drank coffee and said our goodbyes. This whole experience has shown me how much I can push myself and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who gets the opportunity." 



- James Tait 

No comments:

Post a Comment