Monday 15 August 2016

I’ve been doing a lot of online research on what Vitamin D is and how it helps us function! - Jaimee

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!



See how Jaimee is getting on at the University of Surrey!

Week one - 

"So -  this week I started my research project about factors affecting Vitamin D, more specifically weight. I’ve been doing a lot of online research on what Vitamin D is and how it helps us function. I found this quite interesting because although I thought I knew the basics already, there was a lot I didn’t know which could help me have a better diet.

 I think that a lot of people would be healthier if they had access to better nutrition education. After my initial research, I began to write up the preparation for my project that I’ve done."

Week two - 
        
"I spent most of this week at the University of Surrey working with my mentor. She is currently working on new Vitamin D regulations for the government which is quite exciting as it shows my research project is current.

 I spent this week being set tasks doing online searches to compile lists for my mentor. One interesting one was to find manufacturers of Vitamin D supplements that exceeded the recommended dosage the government has suggested and find out if they were approved on a government register anyway. I also spoke to some PhD students about university life."

Week three -


"I have been using mostly websites for my research so I started looking at scientific journals about relationships between Vitamin D and other factors. I will make a scientific poster once I’ve completed this project but because I’ve never made one before I walked along a corridor in the university building that I’m in and took down notes about the format of the posters that are displayed on the walls.I was then able to create my own template.

 Today, I received the data on Vitamin D statuses which means I can begin my analysis starting next week." 

Week four -
"This week has been very busy finalising all the bits and pieces that I need to do to complete the CREST award and give to SATRO. I have been working with my mentor to find the correct variables I should use to present my graphs in a way that is easy to understand. 

I then  wrote up the conclusions for my report ready to be sent off to be assessed. It’s my last week and I know way too much about vitamin D but this project will be worth it once I have my Gold CREST award!"

                                                                                                                  - Jaimee

No comments:

Post a Comment