Wednesday 24 August 2016

My program adds to an existing one which takes data from their satellite, TechDemoSat1, and plots it onto the Earth’s surface using Google Earth. - James

The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!




See how James is getting on at SSTL! 

Week one - 

"This week, I learnt to program with the MATLAB computer language in order to write a piece of software for the team that I am working in. My program adds to an existing one which takes data from their satellite, TechDemoSat1, and plots it onto the Earth’s surface using Google Earth. 

My program makes it so the data tracks are only loaded when the camera comes close to them, which allows large data sets to be displayed, which previously would have crashed Google Earth. With this, I have been able to detect soil moisture."

Week two - 

"This week, I continued to work on my MATLAB program and got it to stage where it works effectively. I have had to solve numerous problems involving the program, including making special cases for data crossing the antimeridian, as this would break Google Earth. 

My supervisor uploaded it to the main computer server, and we let it run over the weekend to process a backlog of data. Next week we will be using it to analyse things like seasonal variation in rainfall in certain areas."
                                                                                                                            - James

No comments:

Post a Comment