Thursday 12 June 2014

MAKING MATHS FUN

Pupils at Ongar Place Primary School enjoyed a novel way of applying their mathematical skills on 4th June.  In a Fun Maths workshop they were challenged to complete as many puzzles as possible within a time limit.  Working with a partner, the children tested their knowledge of addition, subtraction, sequencing, shape recognition, logical and lateral thinking.  They also learnt the importance of carefully reading instructions and understanding a task before tackling the problem.  The teachers were impressed with the workshop as one commented, “Excellent, quick, practical, engaging, solvable puzzles. To keep 80 children 'on task' for 1 hour is wonderful."
 ” and that it improved the children’s confidence and perseverance. 
The children commented that this activity made them view maths in a more positive way:


"Maths can be fun, even if you find maths hard and it isn't your favourite subject. I personally don't really like maths but this has changed my way of thinking."

"It made me realise what I'm good at and what I'm not very good at in maths so now I know what to improve on next time."

"It was awesome; it makes me feel like I can do any sum in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment