Friday 29 July 2016

I have been looking into semi-conductor physics and fluid dynamics. - Olivia


The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!



See how Olivia's getting on in her extended work placement! 

Week one - 

"This week has been mainly research. I have been looking into semi-conductor physics and fluid dynamics (surface tension, contact angle, etc.). I'm using this information to try and understand how an inkjet printer works; as next week, I will be operating one to print circuits onto a polymeric material. On Tuesday I met with the company which I'm carrying out the research for - Altro. We discussed the equipment I will be using and some possible issues involved with printing using the conductive inks that I will be working with." 

Week two - 

"This week, I have begun inkjet and screen printing. I printed with some silver nano-particle ink and then thermally cured it. Afterwards I looked at it under an optical microscope - here is one of the images: 


I also used a laser cutter to cut out an electrode pattern from different materials. I am writing up my report, mainly research and some methodology."


Week three - 


"This week, I have been screen printing with Carbon ink on my substrate. I have also carried out adhesion and resistance tests on the prints and sent them off to Altro for stress testing. 

I have almost finished my report. Next week I will be doing some additional prints and testing as well as getting my samples back and investigating the changes in conductivity."
                                                                                                                                                   - Olivia 

No comments:

Post a Comment