Tuesday 26 July 2016

I think I am leaning towards studying mechanical engineering at university! - Grace


The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!



See how Grace is getting on in her STEM Placement! 


Week one - 

"It has been a great week and I have already learnt a lot about what a chemical engineer does and the processes which take place in the Oil Refinery industry."


"I have also had the chance to talk to a mechanical engineer about what he does and how he got to where he is now. I found this really useful as I think I am leaning towards studying mechanical engineering at university. "

Week two - 



"I really got to get stuck into my project this week. After doing the simulation work and figuring out how to do an iteration procedure, I have managed to get results for my project already.

I have written up on what I have found out and am going to present the findings on Monday. I have now started helping my supervisor with a similar piece of work which is much more complex.


I have learnt that the work they do, although working independently, is done as one unit as they share ideas as a team and help each other."

Week three - 


"This week, I got to present my findings and she seemed very pleased with the results. She then gave me small tasks to edit/add on to this project which I have been doing this week.


I have been asked to present to a group of people in the office about my work, so have been making a presentation for that as well as a presentation for their client which proposed my task. I've been writing an official report for KBC and have made good progress on my Crest report."

Week four - 

"My final week at KBC involved wrapping up my project so that it was ready to present to the others in the office as well as the client. Although I had finished my task set at the beginning of the placement, I have also been doing another project related but didn’t manage to progress as far with it.

I did my presentation and the response was positive and I was happy to see that they had questions for each other as that means that I actually did work on a project which causes discussion and enquiries."



                                                                                                                                 - Grace 

No comments:

Post a Comment