Monday 25 July 2016

I learnt new skills such as soldering! - Abigail


The STEM placement students are sending us weekly blogs all about their experience in the world of work! 


Work experience is great and it provides students with many benefits whilst gaining skills and helping choose the right future career path for pupils. Having work experience on a Curriculum Vitae will make a person stand out to employers as they will notice they have motivation and a real passion for work. It will also help to boost a students confidence in themselves!



See how Abigail is getting on in her STEM placement. 

Week one - 

"I am doing my placement at University of Surrey. I am making 'how to' videos in electronic engineering for next year's undergraduates.
This week I started looking at present YouTube videos on the topics we are making videos for. This includes: digital multi-meters and how to write lab books. I wrote scripts for two of the videos and reviewed over scripts written by my peers. We have filmed for four videos so far (lab safety, how to solder, how to use breadboard and how to use a digital multi-meter) we also recorded the voice over for the first two videos. When recording these videos I learnt new skills such as soldering."
Week two - 


"This week, I was completing all the filming and audio for the 'how to' videos. I started by writing first drafts for the scripts on op-amps, preparation and tool kits before circulating them with my peers for feedback before filming.

 I also spent time researching royalty free music to use in the video introduction. I recorded the audio commentary for the videos on digital multi meters and breadboards before starting a draft for the film on debugging electronic circuits. I finalised a timetable for my remaining time to ensure I complete all videos before the end of the project. Additionally, we finished the filming  and audio for the videos on tool-kits, strip boards, log books, preparation, power supply and oscilloscopes."


Week three - 



"This week, I have started to edit the how to videos. We started off by finishing filming the videos about operational amplifiers and tips on debugging circuits. I spent some time learning how to use the video editing software I will use, final cut pro. 

I edited the first version of three videos which included,  editing the voice over audio, adding in title and credit clips and fading in and out the background music. I sent my videos to my peers and refined them based on their feedback."


Week four -


"Last week was my final week of the placement and I finished editing all the 'how to' videos. I had to create several versions of each individual clip before the final version was ready. First, I edited the audio voice over. Using a programme called audacity, the background noise was ‘cleaned’. This gets rid of the hiss heard in the background. I then used Final Cut Pro 7 to edit out any pauses or mistakes in the commentary.

 Next, I added the appropriate film footage or picture to each section of the script. I cut the clips to the desired length and added captions or text if needed. The final touches could then be added to add professionalism. This included: University of Surrey logo at the start and end, title card, credits, logo watermark in the top right hand corner and royalty free music. Like with the scripts, I sent first drafts of all the videos to my peers who sent constructive feedback I could use to create the final versions."
-Abigail

No comments:

Post a Comment