Wednesday 9 November 2016

Extended work placement student Ross Dobson - Student Case Study


My name is Ross Dobson, and I am studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Economics. I’ve been interested in science for as long as I can remember, and am planning to apply for an Astrophysics degree at university, as I am a fan of astronomy.

I applied for a placement because I wanted to experience working in science to help me see if it was the right career choice for me, and I also wanted to gain some useful transferrable skills – it was also something exciting to do in the summer, not to mention the fact it looks very good on university applications!

My placement involved simulating various types of transistors at the Advanced Technical Institute of the University of Surrey – this was so images could be created of different devices and characteristics, which could then be used in new lecture presentations, videos and materials to improve the quality of the undergraduate student’s learning in Electronic Engineering.

I benefited from the experience as I learnt a lot about working in teams, collaborating on and receiving feedback on ideas, working under deadlines, life in a work environment – and I also made some new friends!

It was a highly enjoyable experience, and I recommend anyone thinking of a STEM degree at university to apply for a placement.


I also benefited from a Bursary which provided me with funding to cover all my costs and travel expenses. Without this, I would not have been able to participate in the placement scheme so I am really grateful for my patrons’ support.

No comments:

Post a Comment