Monday 14 November 2016

Extended work placement student Thomas Banks - Student Case Study


My name is Thomas Banks and I currently study A Level Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science and Mathematics (Statistics) at Strode’s College in Egham. I hope to read Natural Sciences at the University of Cambridge or Exeter.

I applied for the placement because I wanted to see if I would enjoy a career in science. Another reason is that it is a great experience that will help strengthen my UCAS application.

My placement was to do assessing the biodiversity of different school grounds. I carried out different surveying techniques such as setting up traps and counting and identifying different species. I then looked at the bird and tree data in more detail to see if there was any correlation between the two.


The experience was very enjoyable and helped me to see what it would be like working as a research scientist. It helped me to develop skills in communication and team work, both of which are important in employment.


No comments:

Post a Comment